Re: Multiplicity, Change and MV

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:49:41 GMT

JOG wrote:

> Anyhow, my interest here is purely to consider how one might maximise
> query preservence in an environment where schemas change frequently.
> Thank you to those who have spent time offering their opinions so far.

 From a principle standpoint, your interest is how to achieve logical independence with the corollary updatable views. The tough nut to crack, of course, is view updatability.

That's certainly an area that requires a lot more work, and I suspect we will never achieve it without requiring extra work on the part of some expert user, ie. the DBA who has the responsibility to migrate the schema.

I wonder how Vadim's and Marshall's work on lattices impacts that topic? Or vice versa. Received on Sun Apr 16 2006 - 18:49:41 CEST

Original text of this message