Re: Relational lattice completeness

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2006 01:16:19 -0700

vc wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> > vc wrote:

> > > They would be the same for a complete (in the sense of the first
> > > incompletenes theorem) system so finding out whether this is the case
> > > would amount to showing if the system in question is complete or not.
> >
> > Not necessarily because the syntactical notion of truth is not the
> > usual one. It's related but not the same.

> I let it slip the first time because I thought you'd used the
> expression metaphorically, but now I am curious as to what exactly you
> meant. The 1st incompleteness theorem talks about provability, not
> truth. The notion of truth is not used in either the formulation or
> proof.

It also doesn't mention completeness, so I thought you meant the notion of completeness that it is usually assumed to say something about. But this is all detracting form the main point. I gave an exact and, I think, very simple definition in:

http://groups.google.be/group/comp.databases.theory/msg/a1c140fbe76681e8?hl=en&

What did you not understand about it?

> Let's assume that by 'syntactical notion of truth; you've meant in fact
> derivation. If so, what did you mean by " because the syntactical
> notion of truth is not the usual one. It's related but not the same" ?

We have different derivation rules.

> > Having a full and simple axiomatization makes it possible to write
> > query optimizers that do a more thorough search of the "optimization
> > space", and if you know you are complete then you are sure that you
> > need not look further for any other rules.

> If you have a bunch of axioms/derivation rules, you can transform an
> expression to your heart content regardless of whether the theory is
> complete or not.

But you are not sure that you can find all possible query evaluation plans, so you migh miss an optimization opportunity.

  • Jan Hidders