Re: Interesting article: In the Beginning: An RDBMS history

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2006 00:19:48 -0700

x wrote:

> I remember that the order of the rows is also irrelevant.
> Why we name attributes with strings and we don't name the rows ? :-)
> Why not the other way around ? :-)

You smile, but it's actually an interesting question.

The columns have an identity that must be unique; there is this rule that names identify columns.

The rows have an identity that must be unique; there is this rule that keys identify columns.

Coincidence? Are these two examples of the same rule, just with different key domains?

Marshall Received on Sun Apr 09 2006 - 09:19:48 CEST

Original text of this message