From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:15:36 GMT

Marshall Spight wrote:
> topmind wrote:
>

>>Ken Tilton wrote:
>>
>>>The world is not columns and rows, so you are forcing an unnatural
>>>representation onto your data.
>>
>>The world is a big tangled graph/network.

> Nowhere in the physical world will you find a mathematical
> object. Directly comparing anything physical to anything
> mathematical is invalid.
>
> Marshall
>
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_core

I agree with Marshall, without agreeing that he's 'right'! More that his statement is apropos. Stephen Hawking mentioned how Bertrand Russell couldn't argue against the lady in the audience who claimed the earth was the shell of a giant tortoise or the Lisp man, John McCarthy I think, who on the topic of the natural capabilities of computers said that trying to make them think was like trying to make a submarine swim.

pc Received on Thu Mar 30 2006 - 10:15:36 CST