Re: MV Keys

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 19:02:24 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> [a bunch of good stuff.]

Yes.

Nothing in the RM says an equality test will execute within some specific performance deadline. You can join on two long blob columns and the equality test will be a binary compare, which is O(n); it could be a long wait. Joining two RVA attributes that lack an index will likely be as you describe: requiring a sort and therefore O(n logn). (With an index we can do much better.)

> What I am saying is
> that all database management systems end up solving the some of the same
> problems concerning sorting and searching, regardless of the data model
> they are derived from.

Agreed.

Marshall Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 04:02:24 CET

Original text of this message