Re: MV Keys

From: Bob Hairgrove <invalid_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:12:17 +0100

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:57:01 +0100, Bob Hairgrove <invalid_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

>>I know I'm saying this with a programmer's hat on, but I think we need
>>to move more in that direction. I know how to think about it from a
>>"we must protect the database and those programmers are requesting
>>changes that will muck it up" viewpoint too, but I figure this group
>>already has too much of that perspective already. Cheers! --dawn
>
>As you can see, I have also been on the other side of the fence. It
>has nothing to do with the model itself, but everything to do with
>management and attitudes, as well as a lack of understanding of what
>is important on both sides of the fence.

Also, I wanted to point out that large SW projects often fail because of too tight coupling or dependencies between subsystems and not enough component separation. It seems to me that you are advocating just the opposite: tighter coupling between the database and the application(s).

Programmers are typically control freaks and like the tight coupling as long as it makes their programs easier to write and run faster. But what is good for one application, or programming team, is not necessarily good for another.

--
Bob Hairgrove
NoSpamPlease_at_Home.com