Re: circular relationships ok?

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:33 -0000

"Alexandr Savinov" <spam_at_conceptoriented.com> wrote in message news:4406cd86$1_at_news.fhg.de...
> Roy Hann schrieb:

> > Rubbish. I refuse to believe; I don't refuse to be persuaded.
>
> Nobody is going to persuade you.

Well evidently nobody is going to try anyway.

> Only you can do it (if you want to).

I am very good at persuading myself of things. Mostly they are wrong or insane. That's why I try to keep them to myself until I have formed an argument that I hope would persuade a skeptic.

> I have not made any assertions

I believe we may be encountering a language barrier here. Since (to my shame) I speak only English I guess we're not going to get any further with this because I can't express what I said any differently.

> You are already nowhere because you lost the focus of this thread. Here
> is again the problem (as far as I understand it): how to get rid of
> cycles in modeling relationships. Do you have a solution? Do you have
> questions concerning my solution?

I guess I do have a question actually. Why would I ever want to get rid of a cycle? (What fundamental purpose is served by that? What fundamental damage is not done by that?)

> Whether you are interested or not is your own problem and (again) I am
> not going to teach you what direction in data modeling to choose. I can
> only *inform* you *if* you have an interest.

I think you are promoting an unnecessary idea (for fun or profit, I don't care). For various reasons I dislike seeing unsubstantiated assertions about mysteriously beneficial database design methodologies. On the other hand, I am keenly interested in good ideas that solve real problems properly. I am quite ready to read about them, right here, right now, because I could be wrong. Please, get me interested. One paragraph.

Roy Received on Thu Mar 02 2006 - 12:49:33 CET

Original text of this message