Re: MV Keys

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2006 18:42:22 -0800

Jon Heggland wrote:
> marshall.spight_at_gmail.com says...
> >
> > Instead of doing this, we allow attributes of list type.
> > List! Special cased for character lists only, though,
> > perhaps so we can better convince ourselves that
> > we didn't just throw in a non-1NF construct. :-)
>
> What definition of 1NF do you use? I'm asking in earnest; there are
> quite a few different definitions floating around.

I guess I use the definition that says 1NF means no attributes of compound types. No list or set typed attributes, that is. (Only conventionally we have to pretend that varchar is not a compound type if we want to use this definition, because, practically speaking, you can't live without strings.)

1NF is not something that I think too much, though.

Can anyone name any update anomalies that are solved by 1NF? It seems like most normal forms have associated update anomalies that disappear under the normal form.

Marshall Received on Wed Mar 01 2006 - 03:42:22 CET

Original text of this message