Re: Declarative constraints in practical terms

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:58:23 GMT

dawn wrote:
> Brian Selzer wrote:
>

>>I think you're missing the point.  A database is a knowledge repository, not
>>an application.

> It is a portion of one or more software applications, right?
>
>>It is the foundation upon which applications are built.

> I don't see it that way. I see it as a software component. One could
> also tip things another direction and say "The UI is the foundation of
> any software application" or "The processing of data is foundational to
> any software application." I see these all as components to the
> greater whole. The design and architecture of software are
> foundational.

Dawn, yet again your heart rules your head.

You are so averse to acceding any stature at all to the database (and the RM by association) that you muddle all these concepts and try to insist that they can be tipped upside down to make them comparable.

I suspect the root cause of this is due to an undue association with the word "foundation".

Given its pivotal status and early delivery in acts of construction you seem to think it might be considered more important than the other parts in particular your beloved 2VL/MV coding space, and thus must be resisted by true believers at every turn. This is not so, or needed respectively. Foundations are not _more_ important, just important.

Going on with the building metaphor, what you fail to consider is that you don't live in the foundations - you live in the house - which has foundations, walls and roof - each with their own role to play, each dependent on the other, any of which if poorly constructed make the house unlivable.

So relax, let the builder put steel in the footings and timber in the roof trusses, and move in (sic), rather than repeatedly insisting you could, if you so chose, put the steel in the roof and timber in the footings and still get a viable outcome.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 00:58:23 CET

Original text of this message