Re: XQuery (and XML) vs LISP

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:20:27 -0800

Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>Mark Johnson wrote:
>> Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>>> Yep - sure do! Much more importantly is that specific entry bent out of
>>> shape? If so can you point to an alternate source that has a truer form
>>> of the 12 rules?

>> Has anybody simply reprinted whatever was Codd's last version, in his
>> own words?

>Googling for 'Codd 12 Rules' finds lots of stuff - and you quickly get
>close to what was in the original articles. The 'last version' might be
>Codd's RM/V2 book - I don't know of anything later. Whether that would
>be better than the original is open to debate.

Well, let me amend that, then. His views apparently changed. It's not that one can't get the complete texts. For some reason, I'm not sure that they are entirely available online, but only partially. But anyone could go to the local university library and get every last article in an hour or so. One just has to do it. If one is affiliated, you can probably get machine readable downloaded right to your computer, or at worst facsimile images. His 12 Rules were initially sent to a computer rag of the time, if I recall. But that shouldn't be a problem.

But, like anyone, I'm sure certain of his views changed, or were clarified by 'anomolies' and things he hadn't previously considered. And it does seem that those trying to carry on for him even might disagree at points, and have further modified his opinions by their own. So when they say - Codd - maybe they mean more - themselves. Received on Thu Feb 23 2006 - 08:20:27 CET

Original text of this message