Re: Database design

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:41:50 -0800

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote:

>>> The three dimensions of Euclidean space are not in any particular
>>> order either.

>> Nicely put.

>Everyone knows the order is (x, y, z) ;-). (But which direction is
>which ;-) ?)

Isn't that simply a diversion and side-issue, though, in order to avoid considering at what threshold or even if at all a sort creates an ordered relation, which by definition cannot be ordered?

It's like saying that sentence A follows sentence B, and that title D follows both, and that each is so arranged in a hierarchy, and also in a database, yet this is not actually sorted or ordered because by definition is cannot be? either physically or logically.

But what if it is? It's always nice to know about n-space. And perhaps there are databases for physicists and astronomers, and even race car designers. But some stars are more distant in space and time, as best we might guess by a clean measurement of shift. Some are more energetic as we perceive it from our vantage point. At what point does any ranking change from an unsorted attribute to a - ranking? Or is it simply declared - not? Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 10:41:50 CET

Original text of this message