How to work with m:n relationships?

From: vldm10 <vldm10_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2006 10:48:00 -0800

I will use the post which was on comp.database on 25 January 2006, “Design Query”, as one example for m:n relationships. Here we should to design a database to track product subscriptions. The solutions are simplified so that we can concentrate on m:n relationship and on some dis/adventages. Let following solution be as it is usually done in the relational databases.

Subscriber ( ssn, name, address, phone, email, login, password, datefrom, dateto, other-details)
Product ( product_code, name, price, other_details) SubscriberProduct ( ssn, product_code, type_of_subsription, date_from, date_to )
Keys are ssn, product_code and (ssn, product_code) respectively. I will compare above solution with the following (which I defined in www.dbdesign.com):

SubscriberSt (Key1, ssn, name, address, phone, email, login, password, datefrom, dateto, other_details)
ProductSt (Key2, product_code, name, price, date_from, date_to, other_details)
SubscriberProductSt ( Key3, Key1, Key2, type_of_subsription, date_from, date_to )
Here every Key is one column generated key. This solution has suffix St and I will call it St-solution. So, Keys are only difference between
these two solutions. We will assume that the entities and the relationships can change their own states.

1.
Let Subscriber and SubsriberSt now get values: Subscriber1 = ( s1, n1, a1, p1, e1, l1, ps1, df1, dt1) SubscriberSt1 = (k11, s1, n1, a1, p1, e1, l1, ps1, df1, dt1)

Let now Subscriber1 gets a new phone number. We will need new key for Subscriber.
Subscriber2 = ( s1, n1, a1, p2, e1, l1, ps1, df2, dt2) and the new key
is (ssn, df)

SubscriberSt2 = (k12, s1, n1, a1, p1, e2, l1, ps1, df2, dt2)
(St-solution can support this change)

Now we can ask ourselves, what will be if any other attribute (for example email) change its value at same df2 time and has dateto not = dt2. Subscriber2 will get the duplicate key, while SubscriberSt2 will work normally.
First solution uses time, as a key’s attribute, compound key etc. Is there an explanation which will say when to use compound key or when to use surrogate key. What are the meanings of these keys, etc? Can we say that time is property of an entity? And related with this, we can set another question. What does it mean that two entities are identical? Is it means that they are one same thing or they are the two things perfectly similar? In the second case their entity’s properties are same but their system’s properties can be different
(like time/space/position properties). Here my main objection is
regarding construction of a key. Can we use principle: if for n attribute’s values, two rows are same, then I can always find n+1 attributes so that rows are different? Can I say that for any n attributes, I can always set two rows to be with same values?

2.
Now let St-solution be:
SubscriberSt1 = (k11, s1, n1, a1, p1, e1, l1, ps1, df1, dt1) SubscriberSt2 = (k12, s1, n1, a1, p1, e2, l1, ps1, df2, dt2) ProductSt1 = (k21, p_c1, name1, price1, df3, dt3) SubscriberProductSt1 = (k31, k11, k21, type_of_sub1, df4, dt4) Here as addition to the referential integrity, it should be added that PK-FKs should
correspond to each other by their states.

3.
Microsoft ADO.NET has possibility to work with the disconnected objects. We can use these objects to connect to a database, now we can get a data from the database, set them in the disconnected objects and then we can disconnect from the database. When we are disconnected we can update these data, for example we can update a key. Now we can connect to the database again and update it. Problems arise when there are the two users which are working in disconnected mode with the same row and one user updates the key, but the other one needs this key. There is Microsoft’s solution for these kinds of problems but it can be very complicated and there are many combinations. The St-solution which is shown above (in part 1 and 2) can handle these problems with ADO.NET easy. In fact St-solution doesn’t have updates at all. The difference is that ADO.NET solution is based on programming theory. St-solution is based on DB theory.
ADO.NET is great step, but maybe DB theory can have more appropriate solutions related to programming languages.

4.
In his book “Writings 1994-1997” on page 554, C.Date writes about duplicate rows as well as E.F.Code’s opinion about this. C. Date writes that G.W.Leibniz’s The Principle of Identity of Indiscernibles is the basic why relations don’t contain duplicate members. But it seems that results from Quantum Mechanics show that Leibniz’s principle is false.

As an important part of his philosophical theory G.W.Leibniz defined the law which is about relationship between entities and properties. In the notation of symbolic logic Leibniz’s law can be written as:

            x=y ↔ ∀F(Fx ↔ Fy)
where x, y are objects and Fx is property of an object x.
(For those who are interested in Leibniz’s Law, there is for example
the Princeton University web site, where some ideas related to Leibniz’s Law are shown with the great imagination.

http://www.princeton.edu/~jimpryor/courses/intro/notes/timetravel.html

http://www.princeton.edu/~jimpryor/courses/intro/notes/personal-id.html

    )

To not be misunderstood, I believe in Relational DB, but maybe some things can be “updated”, especially the things which are related to the new technologies. For example the things related to xml, web services, knowledge representation etc.

Vladimir Odrljin Received on Sun Feb 19 2006 - 19:48:00 CET

Original text of this message