Re: Oracle acquiring Sleepycat

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:42:30 -0500

After a long battle with technology, "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>, an earthling, wrote:
> I just read "Oracle acquires Sleepycat"
>
> Now, why would a relational database vendor want to pick up a
> database that is not at all relational? If this were a few years
> ago, the answer might be something about migrating the installed
> base to the RDBMS. I don't think that is the story today.
> Interesting. --dawn

One of the more interesting theories is that it relates to the fact that Sleepycat DB can be used as a transactional backend for MySQL.

Oracle had previously "interfered" with MySQL goings-on by purchasing InnoDB OY, who produced the InnoDB engine which was the _other_ transactional backend for MySQL.

It can be argued that this is intended to "complete the set," essentially locking MySQL AB out of the transaction processing market. (There isn't *manifest* evidence that this is why Oracle did it, but it is quite widely believed to be the case...)

--
select 'cbbrowne' || '_at_' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lsf.html