Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:10:20 -0000

Take SQL Server implementation of CLR.

You can write a User Definied scalar function in say C# that uses the regular expression library for instance to validate the EmailAddress column contains a valid email, now you can use that CLR function inside a regular CHECK constraint on your table which is very powerful. People might say, well do the validation in the application, thats true - but you could really do with integrity at the heart, what's to stop your DBA loading rubbish data?

Within SQL Server, CLR runs in-process, alongside SQL Server; the main reason for it late shipping - its so bolted into the product; it doesn't cause instability unlike using extended stored procedures because of the way .NET works.

Tony.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP