Re: Multi Valued Interface Models?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2006 08:58:15 -0800

JOG wrote:
> dawn wrote:
> > JOG wrote:
> > > This post is primarily directed at the latest
> > > http://www.tincat-group.com/ blog, but is also at heart comment on
> > > other recent non-RM work as well as Pick.
> > >
> > > Dawn, I am not sure about the argument you follow in your latest blog -
> > > the logic as I read it appeared to be that because an interface might
> > > contain data in non-1NF, then the RM is not preferable as the
> > > underlying model. (I am happy to be rectified if I have misconstrued
> > > the angle).
> >
> > OK, no, my argument is that it is not possible to employ the RM as the
> > data model for a general user interface.
>
> Apologies for cutting off the quote on the first line - but I think
> this is perhaps an important point of contention. A user interface is
> just an interface - I just don't see how it can be a data model?

Let's start here. What is your definition of a data model as in the term "relational data model"? You can bounce off http://www.tincat-group.com/mewsings/2006/01/naked-model.html or choose your own. Once I understand your definition of this term, I will be in a better position to see if I can rephrase. (I'll respond to other aspects of your posting later, gotta run). --dawn Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 17:58:15 CET

Original text of this message