Re: Query execution for intervals

From: <frebe73_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2006 02:27:47 -0800

> I really don't see how how there can be a short answer to this question.
Ok, give me the long answer...

> Don't know much about current products but assuming the indexes you
> mention are dense ones 'on top' of a row-based store
Oracle is the RDBMS. I am using standard index (create index....)

> Am assuming that by 'intervals' you mean 'overlapping intervals'
I only use the word 'intervals' in the topic header. If you read the content you can find a description of the table and the query.

> Also, not clear if
> the meaning of 'linear' is being polluted by disk-based 'rows' that
> aren't clustered in a helpful way.
The meaning of linear is if the response time of the query execution can be calculated by the formula: time = k * n, where n is the total number of records.

> It might help if we knew more about all the queries in the app
I already provided the query.

> Also, what is an overlapping interval for
> everybody might not be an overlapping interval for an individual.
I never used the expression "overlapping interval"...

> not enough info really
I made this problem very simple. One table, two indexes and one query. I think that it would be possible to describe how the query would be executed based on this information.

Best regards,
Fredrik Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 11:27:47 CET

Original text of this message