Re: Early and late binding.

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2006 16:45:59 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> The discussion about dynamic typing and the discussion about Dawn's new blog
> both put me in mind of an old topic: early and late binding.
>
> I searched the web, and got a lot of articles on this subject. All the ones
> I've read so far deal with two specific instances of early and late binding.
> One is about the early or late binding of variables to types, the statis
> and dynamic binding topic. The other is about early or late binding of
> operators to class specific methods in an object oriented environment.
>
> These two are fine topics in and of themselves, but my recollection is that
> the overall topic of early and late binding is quite a bit more generic than
> that.
>
> Dawn, the reason youer blog reminds me of this is that many of the features
> that you claim add to cost without adding to productivity seems like cases
> of early binding to me. And many of the features that you say you've
> identified as positive seem like cases of late binding.

That's a good point. I'll do some more reading on that topic. Having recently read a bit more about typing since I feel so wishy-washy on the subject, it seems odd that I liked working with Java and Pick.

> It's possible that there's a more abstract treatment of early and late
> binding than the ones I've managed to locate so far.
>
> Dawn, I'm by no means sure, but it's possible the binding subject could
> provide you with a unifying principle for your commentary.

Thanks, David. I have that listed as a topic, but might move it forward after I do a bit more research on it. --dawn Received on Fri Jan 20 2006 - 01:45:59 CET

Original text of this message