Re: 3vl 2vl and NULL

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:48:05 GMT

dawn wrote:

> I'm presuming no such thing. I'm talking about the model of the data
> needed for the screen. To answer David's question too, if you were to
> prepare a diagram of your choice, perhaps UML these days, of the
> logical data model that a software application needs for interfacing
> with the database and the logical model it needs for the UI, choosing
> the same entities and attributes to model, your UML diagrams would be
> different. Given there is an industry arising from this along with the
> OO-RM impedence mismatch, I think this is rather well established.
>
> We take data in from a screen as strings, change them to objects based
> on specifications in code or parameter data, and then to relations
> based on specifications in code or parameter data, with each process
> validating everything along the way. The RDBMS takes those relations,
> validates with constraint logic likely written in a different language
> than the other validations, and turns the data into strings to be
> stored.
>
> That doesn't seem efficient in either machine or people time for both
> development and maintenance activities. Or am I missing something?

Dawn, I think you are on the right track, but I think you must throw out some of the conventional lingo/arguments before it goes anywhere. F... (you know what i mean) the 'modelling', etc. The data has already been modelled. Just my 2 cents.

p Received on Mon Jan 09 2006 - 03:48:05 CET

Original text of this message