Re: Db design for a flexible search

From: ironcito <correo_at_ironcito.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2005 23:25:09 -0800

dawn wrote:

> Create a virtual field which would be a UDF (user-defined function) in
> SQL Server, for example that contains either an all upper case or all
> lower case version of the name of the song, stripped of all punctuation
> and perhaps even all spaces. Create an index on this derived
> attribute. When the user enters data, perform the same algorithm on
> their data before searching your derived data attribute for a matching
> value.

That's a pretty interesting approach. Following the previous examples, I would end up with "adidas", "beyonce" (or "beyonc") and "pnk", which should be easy to perform a search on, and would surely return pretty accurate results. Certainly easier than manually replacing !'s with i's, and so on. I will take a look at the records and see how some of them would result if all punctuation were removed. Thanks!

Diego Received on Tue Dec 20 2005 - 08:25:09 CET

Original text of this message