Re: Updatable views

From: Rick Elbers <rick.elbers_at_chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:08:57 +0100

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:08:07 +0200, "x" <x_at_not-exists.org> wrote:

>"Rick Elbers" <rick.elbers_at_chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Hello Paul,
>>

>> To make it less abstract lets take 1 simple example.
>>
>> Lets say we have
>> Orders, Products, Customers, ProductPrices and OrderDetails and
>> we find some way to edit or select all those in 1 gui( thats a
>> challenge on itself but a different one). Think about a grid with
>> a lot of comboboxes with dropdown style set( so that we can
>> add to the combobox too). Now what would be the requirement
>> of an updatableView ?
>
>Have you solved the Read Only part of the GUI ?
>
>> It must have the intelligence to determine from the view schema and
>> any possible combination of insert/delete/update( which you cant see
>> yet in the gui, but its there believe me)the sequence of actions to
>> take against any database tables and execute those too.
>
>Have you defined what it means to insert/delete/update in/from/the "view
>schema" ?
>
>> My question was and is: can somebody prove that this can't be done
>> in general or can't be done in certain circumstances ?
>
>The problems are abiguous actions and circular dependencies.

Ok. Finally mister x reveals. Ok. Autojoins. Do we agree that an autojoin is not really circular like in a recursive algorithm ? That an autojoin is the RDBMS imperfect way of talking about a tree of trees or about a simple 1-n-n or composite relation ? We express it like its relationship infinity but it really never was ment to be ? The database way to go 3d ?

Anyway,

Rick   Received on Mon Dec 12 2005 - 23:08:57 CET

Original text of this message