From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 23 Nov 2005 18:08:56 -0800

Look, when you create a relation, you are defining a predicate. You are saying propositions that fit with these variables will be stored here. If you have proposition that does not fit due to absent information, and you try to insert it, you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. That proposition DOES NOT MATHEMATICALLY BELONG THERE. It doesn't fulfill the predicate. Full stop.

Hence any workaround which allows you to do this, whether practical, pragmatic or useful, is a hack. Calling nulls "special values" will not disguise this. I cannot see any room for maneuvre here. This of course, does not mean I will not use this hack on an all too regular basis, but I am absolutely aware of its incorrectness. Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 03:08:56 CET

Original text of this message