Re: Lock-free databases

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:05:45 -0500

> "Joachim Pense" <spam-collector_at_pense-online.de> wrote in message
>> VC:
>>> In MVTSO, a data item in addition to the transaction timestamp
>>> that created the item has a read timestamp. In this model reads
>>> always succeed, and writes are rejected and restarted if their
>>> timestamp is smaller than the data item read timestamp.
>>
>> What does "restarted" mean here? Can that mean "automatically", or
>> does it just mean "rejected and reconsidered by the application if
>> the write should still be done"?
>
> The standard MVTSO model implies automatic restart.

If a legal update is blocked from proceeding, then that's more than close enough to being a "lock" that it surely ought to feel uncomfortable to claim "it's a non-locking model."

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "_at_" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html