Re: Lock-free databases

From: Joe Seigh <jseigh_01_at_xemaps.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:22:37 -0500

paul c wrote:
> Joe Seigh wrote:
[...]

>> In the case of an in memory database, you could put the database
>> in to a read only shared segment and allow processes running on
>> the same machine to run queries directly against the memory without
>> any IPC or communication overhead.  No syscalls essentially.

> Are you talking about a read-only database that just happens to be in
> memory and isn't subject to disk latency or something else?

For the most part. You could make the shared segment a memory mapped file but I don't think you want to necessarily tie the disk representation of the data to the in memory representation. It's easier to consider the problem if it's just an in memory database.
--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.