Re: Storing "deleted" data

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:53:41 GMT

> #2 Isn't too bad -- the table containing current data is smaller and
> faster to update/select. But in this case I don't know how to define
> the integrity constraints. As far as I know you can't have a foreign
> key reference to one table OR another.
>
> How do others solve this problem? Is there an alternative that I'm
> missing? I suppose you could also use triggers but that would be kind
> of ugly.

We commonly use #2.

And I don't see great value in establishing foreign key constraints on an "archive" table that represents static data.

You don't establish FK constraints in a data warehouse; it represents data that was previously validated in a previous system, so it needn't be locally validated again.

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "_at_" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/