Question on Multiplicity

From: jason.glumidge_at_gmail.com <Jason.Glumidge_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2005 06:45:18 -0700

Imagine you were knocking up a simple table of animals and their predominant colors. Something of the order:

animal | color
swan       | white
lion       | yellow
oranguatan | orange

----------------------

Consider also that some animals that have multicolored fur. For instance a zebra is black and white. Keeping the table nice and normalized yields:

animal | color
swan       | white
lion       | yellow
oranguatan | orange
zebra      | black
zebra      | white

Now you find out that while most swans are white, there are some swans, although a minority, that are completely black. You can't encode that into table without introducing a new column to identify an individual instance of an animal, or you will not be able to distinguish between an entry which is multi-colored (the zebras) and an entry which is either completely one color or the other (the swans).

Now my question is am I missing anything - is there any method of making this distinction without having to introduce a new reference column to resolve the ambiguity?

Many thanks, Jason. Received on Wed Oct 26 2005 - 15:45:18 CEST

Original text of this message