Re: Do we always have to update or insert? Why can't we just relate?

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:52:21 -0700

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:49:16 +0100, "Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:

[snip]

>The problem here appears to be that you regard an insert as being *both* an
>assertion of a fact *and* assertion that it is a novel fact. That may be an
>entirely valid thing to want to assert, but it is an unusual thing to need
>to assert in the real world. My intuition (that is all it is) is that most

     It is very usual for me.
          Please add new client code ABC.
You bet I want to know if the client code is already in use.

>business processes don't depend on facts being novel and it is a pointless
>complication. What is the point of having a database if you have to always
>already know what it is in it in order to know what you can assert is true
>about the business?

     You do not. Error message or not, the result (the contents of the database) is the same, but the error message gives a bit more information.

>Obviously I am not arguing that key uniqueness doesn't matter!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Tue Oct 18 2005 - 20:52:21 CEST

Original text of this message