Re: formal (theoretical) treatment of database indices

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 8 Oct 2005 19:52:27 -0700

>> I'm wondering if there has been any work done on making indices more important at a theoretical level. <<

No. When we were doing the SQL Standards, they came up as possible part of the standard. We decided that they are too physical for an abstrct model.

X/Open had some syntax in their portability guides which has pretty universal. applications.

You can look at hashing algorithms, the design of tree indexes, etc if you want a bit of theory -- but it is not RDBMS theory. Received on Sun Oct 09 2005 - 04:52:27 CEST

Original text of this message