Re: I am looking for references on updatable views

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2005 10:46:24 -0700

I forgot to mention Oracle provides a data dictionary view that identifies if a view is modifible:

set echo off
rem
rem SQL*Plus script to display update DML status of view columns rem
rem 19990413 Mark D Powell New Script, ver. 8 rem
set pagesize 55
set verify off
column owner format a12

accept view_nm prompt 'Enter the view name to be checked: ' prompt This query will return "no rows" if entered value is not a view

select uc.owner,

       uc.column_name, uc.updatable, uc.insertable, uc.deletable from all_updatable_columns uc,

       all_views v

where  uc.table_name = upper('&view_nm')
and    uc.table_name = v.view_name
and    uc.owner      = v.owner

/

>From the note in my script I believe this feature might have existed in
version 7.3 but Oracle improved the all_updatable_columns view to identify each valid DML action: insert, update, or delete for the view with version 8 where the view did not identify which actions were legal in the first release.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Oct 07 2005 - 19:46:24 CEST

Original text of this message