RM and Semantic Web

From: Jason Glumidge <Jason.Glumidge_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 13:39:03 -0700

Hi, long time reader on this newsgroup and was interested in the opinions of experienced relational people about analogies between the relational theory and the semantic web. I previously thought there were none, but then reading www.w3.org came across:

> The semantic web data model is very directly connected with the model
> of relational databases. A relational database consists of tables,
> which consists of rows, or records. Each record consists of a set of
> fields. The record is nothing but the content of its fields, just as
> an RDF node is nothing but the connections: the property values. The
> mapping is very direct
>
> * a record is an RDF node;
> * the field (column) name is RDF propertyType; and
> * the record field (table cell) is a value.

Does this make any sense to those in the know here? I am not sure if the semantic web is used in this way, but was very interested in your viewpoints. Thanks, Jason. Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 22:39:03 CEST

Original text of this message