Re: Theoretical Basis for SELECT FOR UPDATE

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:33:26 GMT

"Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message news:AdudnY2lqs8y39_eRVnyvg_at_pipex.net...
> Having spent more than 15
> years trying to breath life into brain-dead row-at-a-time cursor driven
> applications in which the programmer actually hard-codes the execution
> strategy, I can assure that not being able to do that is a huge problem.
> routinely see programs that once ran for days reduced to run in hours and
> sometimes minutes once the optimizer is allowed to see the whole problem.

Amen, brother.

If people from the world of application maintenance and improvement could only see the code
that's using ten to one hundred times as much computer resource as it should use, because of
issues like the one you have outlined so precisely, they would understand. Received on Tue Oct 04 2005 - 15:33:26 CEST

Original text of this message