Re: Database design, Keys and some other things

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:44:33 GMT

mAsterdam wrote:

> paul c wrote:
>

>> mAsterdam wrote:

>>> Well, when you are designing that big a database,
>>> you are right of course. For all other databases not, though.
>>

>> That reminds me of something I read: "the purpose of metaphysics is to
>> correct metaphysics", which I think I can justify only by giving a
>> longer reply.
>>
>> I'd say the db only has to be as big as having one more attribute than
>> the smallest possible db. Would think this would include most databases.
>>
>> I'm assuming that by "smallest" we mean a db that only the empty set
>> as attribute even though there could be many differently-named
>> relations within it.
>

> I don't understand. It may be a nice exercise to explain some concepts,
> but can such a database hold relevant facts for anyone?

I assume by "anyone" you mean "anybody except a philosopher" (or anybody except database theorists!).

Possible states - such a db might have a relation named "happiness" and another named "bankruptcy. or it might have one relation for each possible integer, ie. it could enumerate a type. Although I'm not enough of a theorist to say just how one would update it.

A better question might be "what use could it have?" Suggest that we have just put it to one use, namely, to show the pointlessness of the surrogate notion!

p Received on Sat Oct 01 2005 - 22:44:33 CEST

Original text of this message