Re: Database design, Keys and some other things

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 07:45:35 -0700

vldm10 wrote:
> Let the data from the relation Car be represented with the following
> relations:

It looks to me like what you're doing is ordinary data modelling. (Although I will add you are doing it somewhat formally and quite well.) I am not sure if you are claiming to be doing anything more. Are you?

For example, the three relations you describe strike me as overly complex unless the application has a requirement to store past values of the color of the car. Without that requirement, you could simply collapse the three relations into one, keep only the current color, use VIN as the key, and lose the CarKey. (I know this happens in the real world, because my wife sometimes loses her CarKeys.)

Marshall Received on Fri Sep 30 2005 - 16:45:35 CEST

Original text of this message