Theoretical Basis for SELECT FOR UPDATE

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2005 22:24:03 -0700

Hi all,

I am interested to hear people's opinions on the validity of SELECT FOR UPDATE. It is not something that I've ever had to use, or even felt the need for, but I don't confuse that fact with any kind of proof or disproof of the technique's essentiality.

Also, if I understand correctly, TTM doesn't like it at all, either. It appears "RM Proscription 7" forbids the technique. I give a fair bit of weight to TTM, but I don't necessarily agree with everything it says, nor do I believe that the solutions it proposes to problems are the only or even the best solutions. In this case, they simply disallow it, but don't provide any alternative, which suggests that they feel it is simply unnecessary.

I am interested to hear people's experiences, and especially any insight into the "true nature" of cursors and/or select for update, and whether it is in fact necessary.

Marshall Received on Fri Sep 30 2005 - 00:24:03 CDT