Re: Database design, Keys and some other things

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:18:09 GMT

JOG wrote:
> Dawn,
>
> I think the problems that are encountered with the RM are to do with
> the fact that it's fundamental principle that we should use values to
> define something (as opposed to an identifier) is flawed. ...

i think the prominent writers about the RM have never said this, it's more like they have said that relations are expressed only through values. nor do i believe they have ever said that an 'identifier' somehow defines "something" rather it only identifies it. any definition of what is real or what is not real is outside the RM as far as i know.

cheers,
paul c Received on Mon Sep 26 2005 - 19:18:09 CEST

Original text of this message