Re: C# 3.0 with pseudorelational extensions

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:24:08 GMT

"DBMS_Plumber" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126799983.902927.27190_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Yeah - now that's interesting .....
>
> Someone is taking relational theory, and applying it directly into a
> programming language environment. And the homework has been done. Note
> also the parsing trick of the syntax order: from -> where -> select,
> rather than SQL's select -> from -> where, which makes one-pass parsing
> possible. I can't see what the type/domain model looks like though ...
>
> Picking up Codd's insights and seeing how to make it work in places
> other than persistent data stores seems like a much more productive use
> of one's time than endlessly villifying evil vendors for their manifold
> defects.

It's also interesting to remember that the relational data model had been used in places other than persistent data stores before Codd wrote the 1970s paper, and that Codd alludes to those earlier uses in the 1970 paper.

What Codd introduced was, in fact, not the RDM itself, but its application to the organization of large, shared data banks.