Re: Help!....Dynamic Schema evolution

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:49:36 GMT

"Jasinder Gill" <jjkg_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:1126571446.565486.83210_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
>
> I am with a silicon valley, bleeding-edge startup requiring some fancy,
> innovative database techniques in order to address its core requirement
> - highly frequent, dynamic schema growth driven by end-users, on an
> as needed basis. Most of the changes are "adds" versus
> "updates/deletes".
>
> I am looking for a database guru to join as a "Chief Database
> Architect / CTO" (Job description below). Please forward this to
> anyone with suitable qualifications.
>

> *****Job Description*****
>
> A silicon-valley, early stage startup seeks a database expert with
> in-depth knowledge of databases/database theory, and has skills to
> tackle unique challenges posed by the business problem being addressed
> by this startup.
>
> If you are ambitious...are desirous of a chance to place your marker in
> the world...driven to make it happen...and...can withstand the pains of
> getting there.
>

> Biz Opportunity
> -----------------------
> A key area of enterprise daily operations is still stuck with first
> generation technology. It fails to mirror the natural way business is
> conducted. In many ways, end-users are held hostages by the
> inflexibility of this first-gen paradigm, unable to change the key
> business practices to better reflect operational realities. Result is
> poor performance and productivity.
>

> Technical Opportunity / Challenge
> Database poses some unique, interesting challenges for this
> opportunity, none of which are directly addressed by off-the-shelf
> commercial / open source databases. Main challenge is support for
> dynamic, highly frequent database schema extensions without sacrificing
> query performance.
>

> Job Description
> --------------------------------
> Seeking a database expert to conceptualize, define and develop
> multi-tiered database architecture (physical, logical, data access
> layer...etc) that will support the dynamic nature of data.
>
> You must...
> - Deep knowledge of databases and database theory
> - Know relational databases inside-out (Oracle, mysql, postgreSQL)
> - Familiar with graph theory (as it applies to data trees)
> - Be comfortable with academic literature and be able to implement
> concepts therein
> - Experience implementing database engines
> - Experience architecting & implementing high-performance,
> high-availability databases for high demand applications
> - Experience with LINUX, Object oriented design concepts, c/c++
> - Experience in dynamic language such as Python
> - PhD in CS preferred
>
> Ability to present yourself and the technology well to investors is
> highly desirable.
>
> Send resume to jgill_at_aosmsystems.com

In the past, nearly every case that involved a "dynamic schema" that I've seen has been due to sloppy analysis rather than to a fundamental need for a schema that cannot be predetermined.

It's of course possible that your client is the exception, and that they really have a situation where the schema must evolve under control of an automaton, rather than under control of a human designer. If so, I recommend that they look into expert systems that can generate SQL DDL on the fly, and keep the schema documented in the metadata, even as it evolves.

Good luck finding a candidate. Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 05:49:36 CEST

Original text of this message