Re: Conceptual, Logical, and Physical views of data

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:02:47 -0400

BobTheDataBaseBoy <"xxx at rcn dot com"> wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>> BobTheDataBaseBoy <"xxx at rcn dot com"> wrote:
>>

>>>David Cressey wrote:
>>>

>> Is there anything they know that is worthwhile in your world?
>>

> sure. they should know the business. they shouldn't be allowed to
> specify a data model. anymore than a plumber should do neurosurgery.
> they should know what data they need at each discreet point in the
> process about which they are Expert. they should know what those points
> are. they should be able to describe how to get from one to another; or
> not. that is, the spreadsheet/word processing model vs. the defined
> process model. both work. not interchangably, however.
>
> of the younger crop of Gurus, Spolsky has written about the conflict
> between ease of use and ease of learning (which is how he describes it.
> it's the same thing). this conflict has implications for both code
> and data structures. unless one has built to the defined process model,
> it's very existence in the here-and-now might not be evident.
>
> years ago, i worked on some BOM systems. such software is by its nature
> pretty general; both as code and data structure. the user/expert
> decides how his/er business works by defining the materials and
> operations and such. this is SME territory. deciding how the data
> structure looks isn't.
>
> summary: so long as the conceptual model is restricted to defining the
> data needed, OK.

Nice post.

> (OT: so far as "always selling" goes, i find that to be a
> self-defeating view, in the following sense: it has been reported that
> a 2004 survey of Americans found that 45% believed in the notion that
> the planet was 10,000 years old and came into being as described in the
> 6 day Biblical myth. how do you "sell" truth to such people? that's
> not a rhetorical question.)

You sell it with patience, knowing you may fail in many cases. The question is not rhetorical for me either. I am a scientifically literate citizen who is also a Christian, and who came to Christ as an adult. I am no creationist, and in fact have been working on a little essay entitled, "Creationism is not a Christian Doctrine" because in fact it is not. My church is not creationist, but I go to Bible study with three friends in the church who are. We continue to pursue our friendship even though each believes the other is wrong on this point. When it comes up I speak the truth as best I can and I ask questions meant to show the weakness of the creationist position. It's all about time and patience, and the outcome is not in my hands.

But back to databases, it is the same thing. When I say selling I don't mean the stereotyped used-car salesman who is trying to steal from you, I mean a person who earns his/her pay by steering you towards what you really need ( and will therefore want), so that you will be happy and come back for more.

It helps to read up Carl Jung's descriptions of neurosis. If you learn to recognize neuroses, you can develop your own reactions to them.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.