Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: Alexandr Savinov <spam_at_conceptoriented.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:33:42 +0200

x schrieb:
> "Alexandr Savinov" <spam_at_conceptoriented.com> wrote in message
>

>>x schrieb:
>>
>>>This means that there must be a one to one mapping between the generated

> key
>
>>>and some key with a meaning for the end user. Therefore that meaningless
>>>primary key is a pointer. But one of the goals of the relational model

> is to
>
>>>eliminate pointers from the data model.

>>What is the difference between meaningless and meaningful pointer?

> If the key is meaningful for the end-user, it is not a pointer.
>

>>I  think the model itself does not know anything about the meaning of the
>>pointers/keys it uses. In this sense the question about the meaning of
>>pointers/keys relates to data modeling in general rather than to the RM.

>>In other words, the question is if we should choose meaningful or
>>meaningless identifiers for our entites.

> If they are meaningless, they are not identifiers.
>

>>>Other goal is to give the end user direct access to data.

>>Any access is indirect (by definition). By direct access we normally
>>mean some lower level mechanism of access w.r.t. this level.
>>(Absolutely) direct access does not exist just like instant interaction
>>does not exist. Possibly you mean an illusion of direct access like in
>>OOP where we manipulate object like if they were directly accessible.

> Direct access as in access to data by standard tools, not by specialized
> applications.

You have only one serious flaw in your reasoning:

we need an element in our model that will denote an end-user

In this sense I find your approach to defining meaningfulness rather useful but unfortunately I do not know a formal theory that could deal with end-users as an integral part of the model. We can dras boxes, arrows, circles but it will not be a formal model.

In general I think that we lack information on "identtity modeling" althoug it is as important as data modeling itself. Identity modeling is a separate topic, a dual part for data modeling. In other words, we can model identity ignoring object properties. And it may well be rather complex model. It will involve entities without properties - only identities. The following properties of identity make this task rather difficult:

Currently no one model provides anything that would deal with the topic of identity modeling. We can model columns and object properties more or less successfully. But another side is still in darkness. We have tools to implement identification mechanisms ourselves but we do not have a theory for that.

--
http://conceptoriented.com