Re: Use of the term "hierarchy"

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2005 10:00:17 -0700

Alexandr Savinov wrote:
> SQL is aimed at manipulating records, not tables.

I don't see how. Maybe you mean things like cursors? I suppose so, but I would consider the core of SQL to be select/join/restrict etc., which is not at all record-oriented.

In fact, even something like

  select a from b where c = d

could not really be said to be record-oriented; it's a set operation. You can't tell by looking at it whether its result will be cardinality 1 or not; compare with, say, array access in many imperative language.

Then you also have things like

  select * from a natural join b

Marshall Received on Sat Aug 27 2005 - 12:00:17 CDT