Re: The word "symbol"

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:33:02 +0200

VC wrote:
> mAsterdam wrote:

>>VC wrote:

[snip]

>>>What's that supposed to mean ?
>>
>>Your interest in databases is in the purely formal aspects, no?
>>That is one, but not my main area of nice topics in database theory.
>>Is that so difficult?

> So you claim that, say, the relational model is only partially formal.

"So" would summarize _your_ factgathering and reasoning, right?

> What are the other "nice topics" in the RM which are not formal ?

You are suggesting RM is synonymous to
database theory. If it is to you - ok with me - don't bother to read my stuff, my contributions only rarely touch RM.

To restate what I thought was already clear: to me they are not synonyms. Emaple: one pet topic of mine is 'dirty data': how to make sure a database contains reliable data. Formally this problem can simply be excluded by way of the closed world assumption. Is the topic therefore outside the realm of database theory? No. Just - at least partly - outside the realm of the formal aspects.

>>>For example ?
>>
>>Why? Any example would by definiton be
>>outside what you choose to be database theory.

> Forget about my definitions (although they are not really mine but rather
> commonly accepted).

Beyond my (as yet non-confirmed or rejected) assertion "Your interest in databases is in the purely formal aspects", which commonly accepted definition are you talking about?
Please be somewhat specific.

> I am curious how semiotics "gives handles to provide content" for the RM ?
> Always eager to learn from my betters, please oblige.

There was no midi file attached to your post. Yet I don't like it's tone. That's a pity because I did like some of your other posts. Received on Tue Aug 16 2005 - 00:33:02 CEST

Original text of this message