Re: The naive test for equality

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:11:25 -0400

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%MpIe.2973$ns.823_at_newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> David Cressey wrote:
>
>> > that's what I'm calling "the synonym problem".
>> > In this case, an equality test of the referents may require some kind
>> > of
>> > equivalence test of the references.
>>
>> Sure. I'd say "value" instead of "referent", but I get you.
>
> I'm going to stick with "referent" rather than "value". "Referent" is
> less
> specific than "value", and that's what I intend.

If you are talking about the relational model, one would expect to hear the usual first-order terms , like constants, variables, relations etc. instead of the fancy words like "reference" and "referent". What is the advantage of using the word "referent" instead of "value" [of some type] or element of some set ? In other words, how a "referent", when used in a first-order language, is different form an element of a set ?

Also, talking about comparing ["checking for equality"] language symbols ("references") is meaningless -- first order formulas, like A = B, are not true or false by themselves, they are so in some interpretation. The actual equality/equivalence relation is a set (if it exists) constructed from elements ("referents") of another set.(s).