Re: O'Reilly interview with Date

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2005 10:38:56 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message
>
> > I had the good fortune to get some private programming lessons from the
> man
> > who invented MUMPS, he told me "minimize code, maximize data!" and it is
> > probably the most consistently solid, flexible, and overall useful bit of
> > advice I've ever gotten.
>
> Who invented MUMPS?
>
> My only contact with MUMPS is through hearsay at DEC. It's my understanding
> that MUMPS grew out of an application development at a hospital in Boston,
> I forget which.
>
> As a purely practical matter, I'd love to tackle a mid size project, single
> handedly, that ported a system from a MUMPS implementation to one based on
> html, java, and Oracle. I'd like to see, specifically, what the obstacles
> are.

I would love to hear what you learn from such an experiment if you do it. It might or might not be similar to what I have experienced with other migrations to SQL-based dbms's.

The Cache' folks at www.intersystems.com might have stories about projects that go that direction as well as those that migrate from Oracle to Cache' There are a few other mumps implementations, but most were combined into Cache' a few years back.

--dawn Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:38:56 CEST

Original text of this message