Re: O'Reilly interview with Date

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:53:18 +0100

dawn wrote:
> 2. The way that these alternatives are tossed aside is by marrying the
> models to hierarchical and network and then dismissing those as having
> failed already. I realze you cannot put everything in an interview, but
> I have read quite a bit of Date's writings and haven't seem much more
> rationale than what is given here.
>
> Is there a mathematical argument that shows why these approaches should
> be tossed aside as having nothing to offer?

I think it comes from practical experience of these models being complicated to use rather than any theoretical argument. I've never used hierarchical or networks database but I understand people who did found relational database much easier to use and develop.

The old-style databases must have been theoretically correct at some level otherwise no-one would have used them if they were costantly giving wrong results.

Paul. Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 22:53:18 CEST

Original text of this message