Re: More stupid database tricks

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:55:08 +0100

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> <silly>
>
> 27. We tried classic schemas, but change management of the schema was just
> too difficult. Here's what we do, instead:
>
> We store everything inside a single table, with just four columns, named
> object_id, attribute_id, type_code, and string_val. The primary key is
> object_id, attribute_id.
>
> Whenever we need to know the value of an attribute, we just look it up in
> the table, and then cast the string_val according to the type_code.
>
> Now our metadata is just as flexible as our data. And the programmers love
> it!
> </silly>

I saw a critique of this approach (the one table fits all method) somewhere on the internet.

You wouldn't have a link?

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.