Proposed Term: QRM

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:36:28 -0400

I'm wondering if we can drum up any support for the use of the term "QRM", which stands for:

Quasi-Relational Model, as commercially implemented

This term can be used to avoid the need for a lengthy disclaimer and explanation whenever it comes up that the commercial SQL products are not truly relational.

Differences between the QRM and RM that I am aware of:

  1. QRM uses bags instead of sets
  2. QRM allows ordering of results, not relevant in RM
  3. ?? others ??

QRM is not SQL, at least insofar as point 1. The QRM's out there support bags not because they use SQL as an interface but because they allow duplicate rows in tables, which has nothing to do with SQL.

Maybe point 2 is more of a SQL thing, and not a feature of the QRM.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.