Re: full text indexing

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2005 13:30:29 -0700

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2005 19:28:57 -0700, "Marshall Spight"
> <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >I suppose it depends on how you define database theory. To
> >me, data management is about structuring, typing, querying,
> >manipulating, and constraining data. Which of those does
> >full text search fall under? Querying maybe, I suppose. How
> >is it related to relations, though.
>
> What data is in the tuples of the relations?

Using "whether data is somehow involved" as the inclusion test for relevance to database theory is overbroad. I would use that as the inclusion test for computer science.

> >It seems more like a string processing question to me.
> >
> >Also supporting my claim: no one here has supplied a single
> >reference. You'd think if it *was* on-topic, someone would
> >have said something, since there are plenty of people here
> >who have interesting things to say about database theory.
>
> Did you notice that I said something?

I'm sorry, did you supply a reference? It's possible my news server doesn't have that post. Looking back over the thread as I can see it, no one has supplied any references. Except me.

Anyway, the topicality of the subject is a matter of opinion. Our opinions differ. I'm okay with that.

Marshall Received on Mon Aug 01 2005 - 22:30:29 CEST

Original text of this message