Re: Desperately seeking help - db schema

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:23:02 +0100

piernik <copiernik_at_o2.pl> wrote:

>I'm studying informatics and I am to make a DB application. I got a partner
>and we agreed to write it in Java .

At least you're being honest.

> This way we can get finall marks also
>from Java cours and save some work. Unfortunately our good cooperation has
>ended here. My partner got focused on writing GUI. He don't want to listen
>to my argument which is 'what we really need is a sensible schema of DB'. He
>finds what we have now is good. He wants to work with this tables with java
>language .

Drop your partner. You *_must_* have a db design before you begin coding. Of course, you may modify it afterwards, but you must have a db - he's trying to do the marathon before he's even learnt to walk.

>He writes freakish loops in java to get information from this DB, and cout
>distanece between towns ( to count fee). We must set departure time but I
>realy don't know in which table shuld I put it. It don't like the schema we
> have now.

Sounds like a lot of the work could be done using PL/SQL.

Can't you go to your professor for advice? That's what they're there for, is to teach. Obviously, you think about the problem and then come up with your own ideas and ask him about them. Then he should point you in the right direction, but if he can see that you've done something, he should be helpful.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.