Re: Proof that relational algebra is eqivalent to FOL

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:10:25 +0200

Marshall Spight wrote:
> I have seen reference (here and elsewhere) to the "common knowledge"
> that the relational algebra is equivalent in power to the first
> order logic.
>
> I would like to understand this proof, but I can't find any
> references to it online. Does anyone have any references?
> Books are okay too. I'd really like to understand this issue,
> so if anyone has any recommendations for further study, I'd
> be interested to hear them.

I could not find a proof here:
http://www.starlab.vub.ac.be/staff/robert/Advanced%20DB%20&%20Apps/AdvDBApps-2002-V.pdf or here
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~novacky/cs1502/Documents/cs1502.ppt (look at them anyway).

Maybe somebody can come up with a better search phrase than "Reiter DBMS theorem model interpretation". Received on Sun Jul 17 2005 - 18:10:25 CEST

Original text of this message