Re: Base Normal Form

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2005 11:36:35 -0700

mAsterdam wrote:

> > It can be modeled as many relations as well since a database relation
> > has unordered columns and a mathematical relation has them ordered.
>
> Ah the "naming" trick. It takes care of associating values
> to the right part of the header - and it invites language.
>
> This is the schism point of database and set theory.

I don't see that it's much of a schism. One needs to be able to uniquely identify the attributes of the relation, in either mathematics or data management. One does so via identifying marks. These marks can be strings or they can be integer indexes. No big whoop. Notationally, some advantages and some disadvantages to either approach.

To be clear: this is a notational issue merely.

Marshall Received on Sat Jul 09 2005 - 20:36:35 CEST

Original text of this message