Re: Eliminating Nulls

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2005 14:09:54 -0700

Poor choice of wording. I should have said relational design. I have a tendency to lump design and normalization together because I always apply normalization to each entity as I consider them. Normally I would expect an entity represented on an ERD to have a one to one relationship to the logical model though when you deal with RDBMS like SQL Server that have a limit on the physical row length you might have to use two or three actual tables to hold what is logically a single row with the same PK.

Whenever you find two entities that share the same PK you have found what is logically a single entitiy and should be represented as such.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun Jul 03 2005 - 23:09:54 CEST

Original text of this message